This is a variety of word work activities to be used in a small group setting or a center.
I’m using this activities with kids that I’m tutoring in the afternoons.
This packet includes:
• Fluency Phrase cards—These phrases are adapted from Fry’s list—
• Letter cards for building words with Elkonin boxes
• Word cards for building sentences. The words are coded with hearts for different
parts of speech to help students make sure their sentences have a who or a what.
• A recording sheet for both building words and building sentences.
Buggy For Words
Common Core Standards Met in this Packet:
• RF.K.2. Demonstrate understanding of spoken words, syllables, and sounds (phonemes).
Isolate and pronounce the initial, medial vowel, and final sounds (phonemes) in three-phoneme
(consonant-vowel-consonant, or CVC) words.1 (This does not include CVCs ending with /l/, /r/, or /x/.)
Add or substitute individual sounds (phonemes) in simple, one-syllable words to make new words.
• RF.K.3. Know and apply grade-level phonics and word analysis skills in decoding words.
Demonstrate basic knowledge of letter-sound correspondences by producing the primary or most frequent
sound for each consonant.
Associate the long and short sounds with the common spellings (graphemes) for the five major vowels.
Read common high-frequency words by sight (e.g., the, of, to, you, she, my, is, are, do, does).
• L.K.2. Demonstrate command of the conventions of standard English capitalization, punctuation, and spelling
Capitalize the first word in a sentence and the pronoun I.
Recognize and name end punctuation.
Write a letter or letters for most consonant and short-vowel sounds (phonemes).
Spell simple words phonetically, drawing on knowledge of sound-letter relationships.
I will offer materials in a variety of subject areas for kindergarten and first grade. I'm attempting to support my own habit of buying so many things for my classroom.Everything that I've posted is something I've used in my classroom and has been successful. I've aligned all activities with the common core standard and have listed the common core standards that are met in the item description.